Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Unexpected New Paths



Anyone who has been following this blog...(does anyone actually follow this blog?) knows that for a few YEARS my heart has been in Maine. Maine was my goal and all I thought about; something I worked towards and dreamed about.

Now, the Lord, in His wisdom happened to give me a wonderful and insightful husband, slow to impulsive activities (thankfully) and careful and deliberate in thought and judgment. I cannot say he did not want to move to Maine for I believe out of sheer love for me he would have. His argument to me over the past few years has been, "If we are going to uproot the family and move far away, why not move where there is a Traditional Catholic school in case of homeschool burnout?" Again, in his wisdom he knew how much I was struggling with homeschooling, how much my desire to homeschool has waned with every new child born. In addition, trying to make ends meet in this horrendous economy, living in one of the highest taxed states in the nation made it also very impossible to homeschool AND work. I work as a medical transcriptionist and have since 1998. Burnout? Yes. Probably three years ago, but I hung on because as a family we felt there was no option where we live now.

My wonderful husband kept suggesting Still River, MA where there is a Traditional Catholic School and Parish and where we have dear friends as well. I bucked that suggestion for a long time. I wanted Maine and my stubborn Irish self wanted what I wanted.

So for the past two years I have been saying a perpetual novena to St. Philomena and to St. Anne for answers; for doors to open if it be God's will. Nothing happened. And then I got a full time transcription job. This was good timing because the children were on winter break (they took a winter break instead of a summer one) so I could work and not have to school. A few weeks ago my daughter was somewhat in a bad mood and I asked what was wrong and she said, "Well school starts soon." I had a mini-panic attack about 20 minutes later as I realized the monumental task that working full time and homeschooling four children would be.

I can only say it was like my eyes were opened and instantly I picked up the phone and called the good Sisters at the Immaculate Heart of Mary School. I inquired whether there were any openings for a ninth grader and two fourth graders. I was told someone would get back to me. I waited all weekend and all through Monday. As each hour passed I felt more and more anxious. Sister finally called and said yes, there were openings in both 8th grade and 9th grade, but none in 4th, however, there were some in 3rd. Almost immediately after I hung up from our conversation I felt a HUGE burden lifted...like this could really happen. She was to send an application and then schedule an interview and testing for the children.

At the same time I called our realtor and asked about our home worth. Surprisingly, our home is worth more than we thought. More good news.

I got a call yesterday from Sister asking us to come up NEXT MONTH for the interview and testing and to have the children sit in on classes for the day. To say that Our Lord has opened the doors for us and shown us His will *not mine* is to say the least - obvious!

So, come August first we are headed up to Massachusetts to start a new life. My lifelong homeschooled children will be in the care of the good nuns of the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart as well as the brothers.

I just find it interesting where God leads you in life. One might have a specific plan or goal, but God might have something totally different planned for you. Patience is not really a virtue for me, but I did learn quite a bit of patience waiting on God's response over the past two years.

We'll leave here missing our family - my sister and brothers and sister-in-law and brother-in-law and our nieces and nephews; our good friends the Rooneys as well. But as God had it in His plans - He has been detaching me from things and people not good for my soul or temperament (!) over the last year anyway, thus making it very easy to leave and start anew. Thankfully we go to a place where we have one of our closest friend's, the Meiers' who live up in Massachusetts and have made this journey six years ahead of us. We hope to gain much insight from their experience.

I will continue to trust God will let the pieces fall into place. Moving on seems to be easier than I thought it would be....

1 comment:

Dawn Collins - APSHS '87 said...

When I first read you were moving I was kind of upset. I know we don't see each other often but you are a dear friend to me and I like knowing you and Kevin are right around the corner. Now, having read your blog, I get it! You and Kevin are amazing parents (and people), you should be very proud!! But, as an aside NJ rules all and I know you will have to miss the good old Garden Stare!!!